Friday, June 10, 2016

Now not so new anymore- Tama Rhythm Watch Review



Tama updated their Rhythm Watch RW200 and came out with a new Mini RW30 version.  
I've had these since they came out about a year ago and use them almost daily.  I own and have tried many other metronomes and have been a big fan of the RW metromones. 

Both models come in attractive packaging.  The instructions are clear and the RW200 comes with a bag like older models.  Batteries are included.  The RW200 takes a 9V and the RW30 takes 2 AAA batteries.  A negative center, DC 9V power supply can be used on the RW200 (not included).  A RWH10 holder is also available.

Features:
RW200
  • It has 1/8" headphone and 1/4" line out and still has the capability to work with a footswitch.
  • There is a dedicated 'tap' button separated from the 'start/stop' button.  It's in a good place especially if you use the RWH10 holder.  
  • This version still uses the same features from the previous models.  Separate volume knobs for subdivisions and the click wheel.  Two tones.  The 'beat' tone as well as presets (30).

A new option is a 'stage mode' option.  It cycles through the saved programs.  Whenever you start the metronome it only beeps for 8 beats then stops and goes to the next memory setting.  It even has a short memory that remembers your presets when the battery is changed.


RW30
  • Compact and easy to use
  • Dedicated tap button
  • 1/8" headphone jack with volume control
  • Belt clip
  • Subdivisions- single volume
  • TEMPO CLICK WHEEL!  Not many small metronomes have this feature.


Like...
I've always liked that the duple subdivisions sound the same as the down beat.  I feel that it gets too chaotic when you hear all of the different pitches.  This goes for both versions but the RW200 allows you to adjust the volume of the subdivisions.  The jack placement has been well thought out.  If you set up the metronome on your left, the power cable is on the left and the headphone jack is on the right.  Unlike the original version,turning the wheel doesn't cause the metronome to restart.

I tend to drop (or fall of the stand) metronomes, so I decided to also get the holder for the RW200.  It's attached to my hi hat stand and is dependable.  The backlight makes the screen easily visible.  The RW30 is my portable one that is easy to store and carry around.  I love it that you can you can spin the wheel fast to get to where you want or even tap to get close and adjust it.  Battery life is pretty long.  The main buttons and dial are large and easy to use.  The RW30 is a great metronome for those looking for something small and simple.  It would be nice if it also came with a bag.

Not so much...
The only downfall is the battery compartment of the RW200.  It's a problem I've had with all of the ones I've owned.  In Tama's defense, I tend to drop them a lot.  The cover doesn't stay on.  I usually end up putting tape over it.
I wish that they would change the type of 9V connection.  I don't use batteries on the RW200 now but I did change them frequently on my older one and the connector takes a beating.  I had to resolder the wires a few times and eventually decided to just tape them together.  

This is a great metronome for those who just want basic time keeping with features to help while performing.  If you want a metronome that gives you extra subdivisions that you should already know, does odd meters and drum beats, this isn't for you.  


This is my first product review.  I just love this product so much that I want to promote it.  There are many awesome metronomes on the market, I just happen to really like this one for my style of usage.  Feel free to comment and recommend other items to review.




Other images


Tama RWH10 holder

No comments:

Post a Comment